This healthy leftover solution makes one of the easiest and tastiest fried rice recipes.
Yield: Serves 4-6
- 2 Tbsp. oil (choice of vegetable, peanut, coconut, or soybean)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. all-natural, organic butter or vegan butter substitute
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bag frozen veggies, like mixed peas, corn, and carrots
- 4 cup cold, cooked brown rice
Optional ingredients include:
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups leftover protein of choice such as baked chicken breast, pork medallions, lentils, or beans
- 4 cups raw greens (spinach, kale, collards, cabbage, etc)
- Sesame seeds
- Heat large, non-stick skillet on high heat. Once hot, add small slab of all-natural butter, 2 cloves minced garlic, and a small splash of soy sauce.
- Add all raw, diced veggies including onion, peppers, and mushrooms. Heat until cooked through then add remaining clove of garlic, and oil, soy sauce, and rice vinegar as needed.
- Push veggies to the side, and scramble 3 eggs on open space of the pan. Mix with veggies, still adding liquids as needed.
- Lower stove temperature to medium heat and add in 4 cups cold cooked brown rice. Pour in 1/2 c soy sauce to evenly coat each grain of rice, mix until thoroughly coated. For a creamier rice consistency, add in remaining all-natural butter and rice vinegar.
- Add in any remaining protein and frozen veggies such as leftover chicken breast, lentils, frozen peas, corn, shredded carrots, etc. Add remaining oil, cover skillet and cook until heated through.
- The last few minutes before plating dinner, toss in 4 cups raw greens such as spinach into the pan and re-cover until leaves are wilted and steamed.
- Mix all ingredients together and serve hot with chopped scallions, sesame seeds, and soy sauce as needed. Enjoy!
photos by Kacy Meinecke