Close your eyes and imagine the sound and smell of sizzling hot fajitas. Hungry yet? Next time you are craving this Tex-Mex favorite, make it at home. This heart-healthy, low-sodium meal can be prepared in no time, making it the perfect weeknight dinner.
Oven-baked tender, marinated chicken and colorful peppers and onions cook quickly in this family-pleasing dish. Like it spicy? Add sliced jalapeño or poblano peppers to the mix. For a vegetarian option, replace the chicken breast with sliced portobello mushrooms. Ingredients can be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to toss them into the oven.
|1 ½ teaspoon chili powder|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder|
|½ teaspoon smoked paprika|
|½ teaspoon brown sugar|
|½ teaspoon cumin|
|¼ teaspoon kosher salt, optional|
|1 ½ lb chicken|
|1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|3 bell peppers, red, green, orange, or yellow|
|1 large white onion|
- Whole wheat tortillas.
- Extra limes.
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, brown sugar, cumin and salt (if using). Set aside.
- Clean chicken breasts of any fat and slice across the grain into ¼ inch strips. Place chicken in a large zip-top bag and add vegetable oil and the spice mixture. Zest the peel of the lime into the bag and reserve the lime. Seal bag and massage thoroughly to ensure the chicken is completely covered in the spice mixture. At this point chicken can be refrigerated until ready to use.
- Slice peppers and onions into ¼ inch strips. Refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place a heavy rimmed baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes. Add peppers and onions to the seasoned bag of chicken and shake to coat vegetables with any excess seasoning.
- Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and immediately spread chicken and peppers over it in a single layer. Return pan to the oven and cook for ten minutes. Stir ingredients and drain any excess liquid. Return to the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. If desired, squeeze the reserved lime over the chicken and vegetables. Serve hot with whole wheat tortillas.
|Calories||177||Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2 g||Trans Fat||0 g|
|Cholesterol||81 mg||Sodium||98 mg|
|Potassium||178 mg||Total Carbohydrate||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g||Sugars||4 g|